Joplin & Other Stuff
So this past Wednesday I got to finally go down and help clean up some in Joplin... I have been longing to go down there and get my hands in that rubble after the May 22nd tornado since the 23rd. But because of schedules and my Dad being in Russia at the time I decided to wait. I also knew that a lot of people would jump at the chance to go at the beginning but would get tired and would forget as the weeks went on. I'm glad I waited. No I didn't get the devastation for my self in all it's "glory" with cars piled up and people's broken lives spread across miles. I did see plenty of heart wrenching houses with stories that I didn't dare ask. I praised God when I saw the Junior High and High School because if it had been Monday there would have been a GREAT number of lives lost. I stood in awe at the trees, striped to it's white flesh beginning to grow tuft's of leaves back. I listened to a story of fear and of rebuilding. It was a BEAUTIFUL trip!!! I can't wait to go back!!! One thing I noticed above all else was people thanking us for coming to help.... People who were weren't doing anything for, just citizens of Joplin thanking us. I felt almost angry that they felt a need to thank us. Why wouldn't we come? Why wouldn't we care enough to take a day off work, a day out of "cushy" lives to come and serve them? Especially if we are calling ourselves Christians... If we truly are Christians then we go where the need is... and right now it's in Joplin. I wanted to thank THEM for allowing me to come and help, to serve, to start to rebuild this town that holds so many good memories to me! Joplin needs our prayers but they also need our hands, our feet, our ears as they deal with the most devastating tornado on record. Many people in Joplin told me that the weather service is thinking of creating the new category of F6 just because of this tornado. People not only are trying to put back their homes, their cars but also their splintered lives. Imagine living from place to place, not having your own space, your own clothes, your children's favorite blanket or toy to play with. I can't imagine these things and yet these are the situations people are facing now. Joplin needs the church.... who is willing to step up??? I'm just saying I can't wait to do it again!!!!!!!! God might have used my hands (and sometimes my butt and head) to pull siding off a families home and help tear down a garage but He used them to speak to me too!! How much I take for granted.
Maddux is fast approaching 3 which makes me die a little inside to even contemplate what 3 will bring. I used to teach 3 year olds, it's hard to believe my "baby" is soon to be one. Sniff, sniff. For the most part he is a kind, compassionate, energetic, snuggle bug. He loves his trains, his curious george, his dinosaurs and his cousins Maddie and Zack. Each morning when he yells for me to come get him he then asks if we can call Maddie and Zack to play. I love that he has that connection with them. Because I'm not ready to bring another child into this world yet I love that he has the opportunity to have a sibling type relationship with them. :o)
Well these are my ramblings on Friday afternoon while my "baby" sleeps. I'm trying to be more present in the moment with him and appreciate even the "tuff" times because I truly am SO grateful to be his Mommy!!!
Maddux is fast approaching 3 which makes me die a little inside to even contemplate what 3 will bring. I used to teach 3 year olds, it's hard to believe my "baby" is soon to be one. Sniff, sniff. For the most part he is a kind, compassionate, energetic, snuggle bug. He loves his trains, his curious george, his dinosaurs and his cousins Maddie and Zack. Each morning when he yells for me to come get him he then asks if we can call Maddie and Zack to play. I love that he has that connection with them. Because I'm not ready to bring another child into this world yet I love that he has the opportunity to have a sibling type relationship with them. :o)
Well these are my ramblings on Friday afternoon while my "baby" sleeps. I'm trying to be more present in the moment with him and appreciate even the "tuff" times because I truly am SO grateful to be his Mommy!!!
Comments